Thursday 9 February 2012

The Rag Valentines Wreath

The Rag Valentines Heart...  
  At our house we really over do everything, especially the holidays.  I began making holiday themed curtains for the kitchen this Halloween.  I finished sewing up my valentines curtains two days ago.  It took a bit longer than I had thought it would, but in the end I was happy with the way they turned out.  I thought that I might like to make something for the corner, so from that my rag heart was born.
    When my sister and I were little Mom made a garbage bag wreath, it was actually pretty cute (well that is at least how I remember it).  She used a coat hanger and green garbage bags that she had cut into strips.  I used the same concept, but instead of garbage bags I used scrap material that I had around the house.  Here is how I made it...

#1  I took a wire hanger and bent it into a circle.  It was not as easy to do as I thought it would be.  I then bent the circle into a heart, and in the process snapped off the hook, it turned out o.k.  I used the pliers to help me get all of the kinks out.

#2  I used card stalk to make myself a template to cut the material.  A rotary cutter would have been faster, but I was too impatient to get started.  I cut my scrap material into 8 inch x 3 inch strips, and tied these strips onto the hanger.



#3  I made sure that they were tightly pushed together, and kept going until there was no room left on the hanger.

#4 I then took some fishing line and tied it to the top of the heart to hang it.

#5 Done, easy peasy!  It only took me 45 minutes from start to finish, and I am quite please with the way it turned out.



3 comments:

  1. Very pretty if I can find some red or pink material I will make one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete