Monday 22 April 2013

My Earth Day Cupcake Disaster





    Happy Earth Day!  I'm going to level with you on this one, I'm not really sure how I feel about Earth Day.  I'm conflicted on this one.  I feel like we should be making strides to protect our resources without needing a reminder.  I'm not a granola eating tree hugger, but anyone with any kind of intelligence can see that we are on a bad course and it needs to change.  It's all pretty much common sense, and yet sometimes I wonder how common sense is.  Now that I've had my rant....



    It's no secret that I am addicted to Pinterest.  As I scroll through those wonderful bright and beautiful pictures, my mind soars with all of the possibilities.  I imagine myself as more talented that I truly am as I look at those pictures.  One of those pictures was of "Earth Day" cupcakes.  They were fun and adorable, and I knew that my kids would feel like big shots if they took them in to share with their class.


    I started by making my cake mixes (I made 2 French Vanilla), and added blue food colouring gel to one bowl, and green food colouring gel to the other.  The colours popped.  I smiled, and congratulated myself on that plaque that the kids would soon be having made, "Mother Of The Year".


    I scooped green blue batter into the cupcake wrappers.  I then poured green cake batter into a mustard bottle.  Again I congratulated myself, but this time on my genius.  That smile fell away when I realized that I had no clue what the "earth" looked like.  Oh who would check, I just started making shapes.  The colours looked great, and very earth like.


    I popped those bad boys into the oven and set the timer for 20 minutes.  While I waited for that batch to cook, I repeated the whole batter process again.  I was so excited to see my master pieces when they came out of the oven.  In my head I imagined the kids in the class all congratulating Riley, Rowan and Grace on their Mother's genius.  The kids were all smiling as they received my accolades.  They were thinking how lucky they were to have such a great Mom (hey it's my fantasy I can make the kids think unrealistic things if I want to).


    DING!  I took a deep breath as I slowly opened the oven door.  I peered in, that stupid smile on my face fell off quickly.  I had forgotten that when the batter cooks, the mixture changes colours and darkens.  My "earth" looked more like paint splatter, yucky coloured paint splatter.  I kind of wanted to chuck that tin full of traitors against the wall, but I kept my cool and set them down.  Well they don't look the way they did in that beautiful picture that was posted on Pinterest, but let's face it kids would eat dog poop if it had icing on it.  I soldiered on.


    So there you have photographic proof.  Not everything that you see on the internet is true.  It turns out that I am not Martha Stewart.  My Mother Of The Year Award will just have to wait.  The kids were pretty happy to take cupcakes in for their class, even if they did look weird.



So here is that part in the show where I tell you that I am in a contest for Mom's of Multiples, and I really want to make the Top 25 (very prestigious) and so I need your help.  If you could just hit that little pink circle, then scroll down and hit the little pink heart to vote for me, I would be most obliged.

No comments:

Post a Comment