Thursday 8 August 2013

Greek Salad


    I seem to be on a big Greek kick lately.  I'll be honest I was always an Italian nut, that is until I discovered the Akropolis  http://themiddleagedwomanwholivedinashoe.blogspot.ca/2012/03/akropolis-and-lost-art-of-hospitality.html.  I am now hooked on Greek food.  I find that Greek food has a fresh taste to it.
    Greek Salad is the perfect summer salad.  It has the gorgeous crisp of the lettuce, and the nip not bite of the dressing.  Every mouthful has a new and delicious taste to it.  The other wonderful thing about it is how very easy it is to make!  At this time of year you can buy almost all of the ingredients from your local farmer's market to make the taste that much more superior.

    I will not pretend that this is a "real" Greek recipe.  I have zero Greek heritage, I don't really even know any Greek people (but I would like to know some Greek Mommas that would like to feed me).  This is a recipe that I got from my favourite brand of cookbooks "Company's Coming", and I have adjusted it to suit my own tastes.

I use....

1 head of iceberg lettuce, torn                                            1 English Cucumber
2 Tomatoes                                                                         1/ 2 cup of black olives sliced in half
1 Green onion sliced really thinly (thin enough that my kids don't know they are eating onion)
1/4 cup of Feta Cheese ( I love the Feta that is made at Ivanhoe Cheese Factory)

For the dressing...
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil                                           1/4 lemon juice
1 table spoon Greek Seasoning                                           pepper

I mix all of the vegetables into a big bowl, then I whisk my dressing in a separate bowl.  It also works great if you put all of your dressing ingredients into a mason jar, with the lid on and give it a shake.
I pour the dressing on top of the vegetables and Feta,  then give it a toss.  A beautiful summer salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment