Thursday 7 November 2013

Day Two of the Turkey Challenge - Chicken Cacciatore


    Day two of the Great Turkey Challenge; the kids asked what was for dinner last night.  I told them "Turkey Cacciatore".  I was met with groans and whines of "Turkey Again!!!!!!"  I shook my head.  They would love it, they just enjoyed complaining.


    I cut up bits of my turkey meat and put them into the bottom of a large casserole dish.  I put in lots, because I wanted it to be generous portions.  I then added two cans of bottled spaghetti sauce (it was on sale for 99 cents last week), and one chopped onion, one grated garlic clove, salt, pepper, diced green pepper, and some italian seasoning.  I stirred it all up, then put it into a 350 degree oven for an hour.  At around the 45 minute mark I boiled my salted water, then added my noodles to the boiling water.
    It was a pretty easy dinner.  I had the turkey, the bottles of tomato sauce cost $2, the noodles were on sale the week before for 99 cents.  Basically I had made enough turkey cacciatore that I fed everyone seconds and had enough left for left overs.  This dinner cost about $6, not too shabby.


    After all of the complaining, about having "turkey again", the kids LOVED their dinner.  They ate every last bit, and asked for seconds.  This turkey was turning into a real time and budget saver!


    The night before I had made turkey salad for the kid's lunches (remember "Let's Talk Turkey). http://themiddleagedwomanwholivedinashoe.blogspot.ca/2013/11/lets-talk-turkey.html  The turkey salad was a big hit! So if you are counting, so far that's a turkey dinner, turkey soup, turkey cacciatore, turkey salad sandwiches all from a $23.00 turkey!  

No comments:

Post a Comment