Sunday 5 January 2014

The End of Bliss


    Well, this is it, the end of Christmas holidays.  They have been the best holidays that I can personally ever remember.  It was mainly us just spending time together, enjoying each other, it was really nice, and now it's over.  It's time to go back to real life, with it's time lines and schedules.


    I spent my day frantically preparing for the school week ahead.  I made muffins, I made cookies, both chocolate chip and oatmeal chocolate chip.  I cut fruit.  I boiled eggs.  I made calzones ( that's tomorrow's blog... spoiler alert).  I could feel a dirty panic coming on me, like Monday would get here before I was ready.  My freezer is now well stocked with cookies and muffins.  


        While I was in the house panicking away, Christopher had the kids outside, seizing what was left of the holidays.  They were all bundled up, excited for their first sled run of the year.  Up until this point the weather has been too bitter for them to be out, or the ice made it too dangerous.  I could heal their squeals of laughter in the house (I'm sure the neighbours just love us).  


    When they finally came in the house their cheeks had that healthy red glow to them.  They were happy little campers who were ready for more.  I tossed their soaking wet winter clothes into the dryer and put the kettle on for hot chocolate.  The last batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies were still warm enough to be melty, but not hot enough to burn your mouth shut.



    While they drank hot chocolate and ate their weight in oatmeal cookies we played Apples to Apples. The laughter rang through the house.  It was the perfect ending to a perfect holiday.  I don't want my babies to go back to school.  It's so peaceful when they are home.  When I say peaceful I don't mean quiet, oh no.  Quiet is something that we only hear late at night when the little monkeys are sleeping.  When I say peace, I mean that my world just seems right.  It feels right to hear laughter in the house, to hear squeals, even the odd non-World War three fighting.  That noise means that I am the mother of small children, which is exactly where I want to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment